ant-user mailing list archives

From Kirk Pepperdine <kcpe...@sprintmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant book review in JavaPro July 2003
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:31:38 GMT
At 11:06 AM 7/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Kirk - thanks for the kind words!
>
>On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 03:16  PM, Kirk Pepperdine wrote:
>>As for involvement here, I admit to being a lurker :)
>
>We're still waiting for your classloader fixes for Ant that we discussed
>last November :))  (i.e. making it so junit.jar is not needed in the
>classpath running Ant).

well.. believe it or not.. it's still on my todo stack. But since we are on
the subject... here is how I was planning on doing it.

Since diddling with a fully configured, loaded and running classloader can
really blow you out of the water, I wanted to take some time to think about
this (yeah that's it... think time). Here is what I'd purpose doing.
1) Verify that ANT is contained with-in it's own classloader.

2) add a method to the classloader to expose the currently protected method
used to add classpath elements. At issue here is that if different threads
pick the same things up from different classloaders, you'll end up with
some expection being thrown such as a class not found which can be
confusing because when you go to check you classapth, you'll find the class
8^) Danger, having jUnit on the classpath and then having it show up in
configuration BAD!!!

3) add a new property type known as jar. It would look something like
<property jar="${root.to.jar}/junit.jar"/> This would have to reached and
acted upon before any references were made to the junit (or other) classes.

As an alternative to point 3, we could add an attribute to the taskdef task.

Opinions, suggestions....  concert schedule????

either way, this looks so incredibly simple that I think that I'll move it
up the stack.

>         Erik

Cheers,
Kirk

www.javaperformancetuning.com

"Don't be loath to discard your 'beautifully complex' solutions
and substitute them with your undramatically simplest
solutions. And do that again and again until it looks so
obviously simple that everyone will say, 'Anybody could
design that.'"
-- Buckminster Fuller