ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Properties in Ant are immutable [was: Bug with property/propertyfile ?]
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 03:13:19 GMT
On Sunday, July 20, 2003, at 10:50  PM, Daniel Joshua wrote:
> Since properties cannot be changed, why isn't there some form of
> varibles in
> Ant?
>
> This will really make Ant a more useful language..

:)  I cannot help but smile from reading this.

Have you followed the threads about Ant's declarative nature versus
making it a scripting language?

In fact, I'd argue that Ant *does* have plenty of variables floating
around under the covers... they are just hidden beneath the details of
tasks.  If you need variables, perhaps what you are really ought to do
is write a custom Ant task?  In Ant's CVS, writing ad hoc tasks is even
easier with <scriptdef>.

Also, perhaps you'd be interested in scripting Ant from the outside,
using jython?  Check the recent dev list archives for discussions on
that topic.

	Erik