ant-user mailing list archives

From Rutger Hofman <rut...@cs.vu.nl>
Subject Re: Trying to get rid of makefiles
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:26:49 GMT
Hmmm, I thought that if one feeds all .java files to the javac
task, then javac figures out the dependencies automatically.
So, if class A extends class B and B.java is changed, javac
will also compile class A (actually, because B.class is changed).
There is no need to do more sophisticated dependency analysis --
javac takes care of it all.

The caveat here is that the dependency checking uses the .class
files, not the .java files. One notable situation where dependency
checking fails is if class A references a static final value
defined in class C. Then, the actual value is constant-propagated
into A.class, so the dependency is invisible within A.class,
and changes to class C will not necessarily lead to recompilation
of A.

Rutger