ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@fgm.com>
Subject Re: Make ant (much) faster ?
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:28:18 GMT
David Balazic wrote:

>  The problems is , that if we do "ant rebuild" and the immediatelly after it
>  "ant build" , it will build new almost everything.

Are you sure Ant is actually building everything again?

Executing all the targets and executing all the tasks does not mean
that it's doing all the work (compiling, copying, etc.) again.

Make checks dependencies and suppresses unneeded steps "outside" the
specific commands that do the building.

Ant checks dependencies and suppresses unneeded actions _within_ the
specific tasks that _might_ do the building.  That is, Ant has to at
least partially run each task so the task can check dependencies
and decide whether there's any real work to do.  However, if there's
no real work to do, the task skips the real work.

When you do "build" after "rebuild", does it run much faster or does
it task roughly the same amount of time?

Daniel