ant-user mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [OT] Mail User Agents and threading
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:24:11 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>Yep - MS Outlook.  I thought the 'AW:' / 'RE:' thing is a locale
>>part.
>

> Only for Outlook 8-)

Not only for outlook. Lotus Notes does it too, as well as Mozilla
and most other OSS MUAs. It's only that people, i mean geeks, rarely
bother with localized installations, with the possible exception of
french, and, oops, perhaps a few germans. :-)

BTW it's not the prefix throwing off threading. There are standard
headers, as defined in RFC2822 sect. 3.6.4.
I culled a set of "good" MUAs from my inbox:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=104335769809427&w=2
The "Internet Mail Service" mentioned there is MS Exchange (what
a surprise). Some MUAs use the Referers: and In-Reply-To: headers
wrong, for example Pegasus Mail which doesn't append the In-Reply-To
id to Referers as it should, which also throws off threading in
Mozilla.

As this topic comes up every now and then, I should have updated
and put this into the Apache Wiki a long time ago...

J.Pietschmann