ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CVS.exe for Ant
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:38:53 GMT

> I don't know the code Eclipse or NetBeans use, but
> my personal
> requirements would be:
>
> * must use a license compatible with the one I want
> to use for my task
>   (which my case would rule out (L)GPL but your
> requirement may be
>   different).

I just did a web search and found the NetBeans Java
CVS Client library... the license (SPL) looks like it
should be compatible with the Apache license, though
I'm far from expert on such matters.

> * must be available without installing the full IDE

the API is usable without full-blown NetBeans as I
found one standalone CVS client--GruntSpud--using the
NetBeans library as its core (there are more than
likely others).  I WOULD NOT borrow code from this
project, however, because it uses some tools (log
graph and diff viewer) from GPL'd JavaCVS.  If the SPL
is indeed compatible with Apache, a developer
rewriting <cvs> could probably look to NetBeans itself
for pointers, as well as the apparently adequate
documentation available...

> * must support local, pserver and ext.
>
> * must support ext with ssh as remote shell.

the NetBeans javacvs client library has a Connection
interface, implemented by PServerConnection and
ServerConnection (apparently for ext as well as local
connection)... GruntSpud's project page indicates it
is using a separate ssh client to implement ext/ssh.
Maybe it's time to revisit this...

> Stefan

-Matt