ant-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Lord <p.l...@russet.org.uk>
Subject Re: Using ANT with 'C' projects - need help
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:14:16 GMT

  Jeff> I'm just learning ANT but have used make extensively in the
  Jeff> past.

  Jeff> ANT seems to be very Java specific as it does not have default
  Jeff> build rules for C++ or VB like it does for java compiles.

  Jeff> So far it does not seem to be very hard to create a build
  Jeff> target with an EXEC command that calls the VC++ command line
  Jeff> with he proper params.  I'm still working on the nested
  Jeff> build/include concept to do the entire system and how to deal
  Jeff> with my hidden dependencies and circular build issues.

  Jeff> So ya, it can do C++ builds, if it's better than Make remains
  Jeff> to be seen.

My own feeling is that make is nicer for doing C/C++ builds, while ant
is better for doing Java.

The main advantages of using make with C/C++ is not make itself, but
the layer of stuff on top of make that exists, such as
autoconf/automake if you are developing for the unix, or similar
environments.

For Java the advantages of ant are many...you don't have to
continually relaunch javac, you avoid the circular dependency issue
and so on. But none of these apply to ant with C.

It would be nice if there were a universal build system, but there
isn't. make comes closer than ant, largely because of its maturity,
but from my perspective I use several build tools, I expect to be
doing so for the foreseeable future.

Ho hum....

Phil