ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Morris" <David.Mor...@plumcreek.com>
Subject Re: Branching on Java version
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:27:32 GMT
Scott,

I ran across an open source package called jenable that claims
to support more configurable builds including JDK build via
conditional source pre-processing.

http://www.sosnoski.com/opensrc/jenable/index.html

David Morris

>>> Scott_Sauyet@output.net 6/9/2003 8:25:50 AM >>>
Hi folks,

I'm mostly a lurker here, learning a lot.

I have a problem I can't quite figure out.  I think what I want to do
is
to conditionally use one source file when compiling with Java 1.3 and
another when compiling with Java 1.4.  And I don't know how to do
that.

The problem is that the interface java.sql.Connection has changed
between 1.3 and 1.4 in a way that I cannot use the same source for both

(1.4 adds new methods involving a class, java.sql.Savepoint, that
wasn't
available in 1.3.)  Because the additional methods are not called in
our
code, I can compile this with 1.4 and run with 1.3, so there is no
issue
there.

The production system is currently Web Logic, running on Java
1.3.something.  But most of the developers are on 1.4.  For stupid
political reasons, I cannot insist that the few developers on 1.2 or
1.3
switch to 1.4, so I really need this build to run in both 1.3 and 1.4.

I was going to introduce two versions of the one class that's causing
problems and copy the one matching the the java version to the source
directory, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to do this?  Or for a better way
to handle this problem?

Thanks for your time,

  -- Scott Sauyet