ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zip files....
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:17:29 GMT
On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, EJ Ciramella <ECiramella@emptoris.com> wrote:

> I know we've all been over this a million times, but is there really
> no way to preserve permissions in zip files??

* There is a non-standard way to store permissions in ZIP archives,
supported by all unzip's that derive from InfoZIP's code (pretty much
any unzip on open source OSes).

* Java's java.util.zip package does not provide acces to it.

* Ant invented a zip package of its own to enable Ant to store
permissions in zip files.  This is used by Ant since 1.3 for
directories and has been generalized for arbitrary permission support
in 1.5.2 (and it started to work with 1.5.3 ;-).  See <zipfileset>'s
filemode and dirmide attributes.

* Java doesn't provide a way to query the permissions of file,
therefore Ant cannot do it (without writing some platform specific JNI
code, that is).  As a consequence you must explicitly state the
permissions you want to store in the archive - Ant is unable to
automatically preserve them.

Stefan