ant-user mailing list archives

From "W. Sean Hennessy" <shenne...@goldenhourdata.com>
Subject RE: Using ANT with 'C' projects - need help
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:49:43 GMT
One scenario starts with a Windows platform development effort (Visual
C++/VB teams)
that evolves from a Visual Studio unit build for prototyping to using nmake
in a scripted build environment. This is fine until another member of the
team (SCM manager says so) prefers using another flavor of make Cygwin/MKS
and then the different dialects of make rules persuade one to migrate to the
Ant solution.
For me Ant works well for agnostic Linux/Win2K java development.
Some gnu based c/c++ cross target solutions can be realized with Ant.
I don't see much Win2K development being done using Linux so for these teams
make/nmake might be all they need.
If it works for them, let them be, it's one less task on their road to
product ship.
Perhaps some day the truly platform independent CLR will be realized and it
won't matter the language C#,Java or Adadogonce...
I'm platform agnostic so I AiNT worried about it.  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Brown, Michael (Denver) [mailto:Michael_Brown@jdedwards.com]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 9:26 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Using ANT with 'C' projects - need help

Jeff,

It really depends on each environment you build within.  I have been
involved in a project to incorporate ant into building our C and C++
code and it is working fairly well for the windows platform.  We are
utilizing the exec command and writing some custom tasks to handle the
MSDev and StarTeam integration.  I think for the future that it will
make sense to find a way to utilize this tool for the other two
platforms we build on.  It seems to make sense to allow the automation
to evolve.  Here is a plug for the book the Eric and Steve have written,
Java Development with ANT.  It has some fairly detailed information
regarding how to develop native code using the cpptasks from the
ant-contrib project.  My opinion is that there is a long way to go
before ANT would be considered a total solution and it may not ever want
to get there, but it does facilitate getting there if you want to do
some java coding and take advantage of XML.  IMHO.

Mike