ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <SCo...@sportvision.com>
Subject RE: re-reading build file from within ant
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:30:39 GMT
I have written a build.xml that, as the first step, calls version
control (StarTeam in this case but that's not important) and checks out
the latest version of build.xml, then calls into it using the <ant> task
to do the real work.  This works like a charm, and I see no reason why a
similar scheme would not work for your regeneration.  Jeff's solution
might be a little easier and less error prone depending on the level of
regeneration you are doing, but assuming that is all worked out and
solid, you could use the same file, as I do in mine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Faist, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Faist@encodasystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:15 PM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: re-reading build file from within ant

I use to do this with makefiles am therefore unsure if it will work with
ANT.

Leave build.xml alone and have it test for a second file that would be
the one that is regenerated and does the real work.  builds.xml will
test for this file being out of date, rebuild it then call it as needed.
that way builds.xml will not change so no errors will occur and the
other file is not loaded ( .include in make ) until after it's rebuilt
so it's content change will not cause an error either.

something to test and consider.

JEff
Jeffrey W. Faist
Configuration Management Analyst