ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Graphical editor of the Build.xml
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:59:31 GMT
The real problem is that Ant doesn't expose its module thru an API, nor
formally declares what it uses inside, but instead you can do anything you
want at runtime. So it's really impossible to dynamically infer valid
tasks/types, attributes/elements available thru Ant core or custom
"AntLib"s, ATM at least.

Eclipse does some of it for the Core I'd assume, how can it know about a
custom task I compile and add dynamically within the Ant script itself,
without running that script???

In an ideal world, the Ant model for a given build file could be obtained
statically thru an Ant API, thus inferring the schema if you want (though
not the more subtle mutual exclusion of this and that, or what valid in this
mode or than one).

You can somewhat do that using the <antstructure> task, which extract the
DTD of a build file, but I don't think it's as effective a mechanism (a few
people use it I gathered from this list)...

Anyways, back to work ;-) --DD