ant-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Michael (Denver)" <Michael_Br...@jdedwards.com>
Subject RE: Using ANT with 'C' projects - need help
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:25:48 GMT
Jeff,

It really depends on each environment you build within.  I have been
involved in a project to incorporate ant into building our C and C++
code and it is working fairly well for the windows platform.  We are
utilizing the exec command and writing some custom tasks to handle the
MSDev and StarTeam integration.  I think for the future that it will
make sense to find a way to utilize this tool for the other two
platforms we build on.  It seems to make sense to allow the automation
to evolve.  Here is a plug for the book the Eric and Steve have written,
Java Development with ANT.  It has some fairly detailed information
regarding how to develop native code using the cpptasks from the
ant-contrib project.  My opinion is that there is a long way to go
before ANT would be considered a total solution and it may not ever want
to get there, but it does facilitate getting there if you want to do
some java coding and take advantage of XML.  IMHO.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Faist, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Faist@encodasystems.com]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 10:05 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Using ANT with 'C' projects - need help

I'm just learning ANT but have used make extensively in the past.

ANT seems to be very Java specific as it does not have default build
rules for C++ or VB like it does for java compiles.

So far it does not seem to be very hard to create a build target with an
EXEC command that calls the VC++ command line with he proper params.
I'm still working on the nested build/include concept to do the entire
system and how to deal with my hidden dependencies and circular build
issues.

So ya, it can do C++ builds, if it's better than Make remains to be
seen.

JEff
Jeffrey W. Faist
Configuration Management Analyst