ant-user mailing list archives

From Donal Quinlan <>
Subject Re: exec task
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:43:37 GMT

Have a look at

I had the same problem today with the Pramati appserver. Basically Bill
Burton's script does the nohup you are trying but also redirects the
output to a log file.

It worked for me like a charm. Thanks Bill. I looked in 1.6alpha for
nohup kind of functionality but didn't see any. I guess it's not planned.

Joby Menon wrote:

>I am using an exec task to invoke a unix shell script.
>The shell script in turn starts a java application say a web server , and
>the application never terminate.
><target name="A" >
>   	<exec dir="${b}" executable="${b}/" timeout="500"/>
>   	<echo message="Hello, world"/>
>            <waitfor maxwait="5" maxwaitunit="minute"
>checkeveryunit="minute" checkevery="1" timeoutproperty="NotStarted" >
>   		       <socket server="a" port="abcd"/>
>   	 </waitfor>
>   </target>
>The content of is
>nohup 2> nohup.out  &
> in turn runs my java application.
>The problem is that exec never returns, even if I specify timeout. I guess
>the timeout parameter never gets passed on to called shell script to the
>next level.
>The exec is executed all right, the server gets started all right but the
>process never returns to continue my build process.
>Any help ?
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: