ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Separation from rules and project specifics. Can it be done?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:23:28 GMT

Steve Cohen wrote, On 11/06/2003 18.11:

> I believe that in 1.6, there is an <import> task that overcomes these limitations.

Yup.

The import task has been part of the effor that Krysalis is doing to
make a better Ant.

Centipede http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/ has worked closely with Ant
developer to make this task be useful in 1.6, and has donated the
XmlPropertyTask, that now has gone well beyond the original rough
implementation.

ATM Centipede is undergoing its last refactoring, so that it will be
easily usable as a simple Ant task.

But in esence, what does Centipede buy you?

1 - project descriptor based on and compatible with Apache Jakarta Gump
2 - automatic jar download based on the descriptor
3 - jar repositories with versioning
4 - extended antlibs that contain tasks and preset buildfile libraries
     that get imported in the buildfile
5 - automatic antlib download and install
6 - multiproject builds in the same module

To be clear: Centiepde is an Ant task. It's not an Ant replacment. :-)

Now we are working hard to finish soon the refactoring that involves
name changes (teh plugins are now called antlibs) and quality assurance.

Stay tuned :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -