ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: New to Ant: Error reading project file
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:25:08 GMT
Just to correct a few misconceptions ...

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:04 am, Bansemir, Carsten wrote:
> Wow, what a specific answer Jeff, now I understand the error message :)
>
> but for the "newbies" to ant or especially to xml, who only whant to know
> what to do, (and not why) it must be said that XML UTF-8 encoded) doesn't
> support country-specific characters like "ä, ö, ü" in german or "é, ô ..."

Your statement is incorrect - UTF-8 supports everything. The problem is that
you wrote the file in a particular encoding (ISO-8859-1) but you did not tell
the XML parser about this. You do not need to remove the country-specific
characters as you call them, although that is a quick fix.

If you want to retain the characters, specify the encoding you used to write
the file in the <?xml ...?> declaration, or write the file with the UTF-8
encoding. You'll need an editor that supports the selection of the encoding,
such as jEdit.

> in french. But the only point in the XML file where there can be found such
> characters are the comments, so search the comments for country-specific
> characters, and replace them.

these characters can exist outside comments - in <replace> attributes, for
example.

Conor