ant-user mailing list archives

From Harry J Walsh <...@com21.ie>
Subject Re: Clearcase and ant
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 10:40:23 GMT
On Thu, 1 May 2003 12:22:26 +0200, <Wannheden> wrote:

> Yes, clearmake uses the configuration record (CR) of the derived objects
> instead.  Which of course is much more reliable.

Exactly why I want ant to use them :)

> What I do is to run a clean target every once in a while :-)  But I
> understand that this might not be feasible in your situation.  I just
> figured that I do things as you described so seldom, so I didn't want to
> waste time implementing a suboptimal solution.

This is what I've been doing, but I've been burnt with bad builds recently
and have been forced into making it work properly or switching back to
clearmake.

>> Running ant within 'clearaudit' doesn't work as each file generated
>> appears to depend on every source file accessed by the ant process.

> list many source files as dependencies.  Only after many changes and
> recompilations things stabilize and the CRs will reflect the actual
> dependencies.

Yes, I'm aware that this occurs, but generally this is more acceptable than
not building an out of date source.

> As I see it there is no really good way of developing Java with ClearCase
> and still use these powerful features.

I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion.

> But I'd be interested if you find a good solution to this!

I'll certainly post my final conclusions here.

Cheers for the response,

--
hjw