ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: AW: load property from refid
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 13:12:54 GMT
On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 06:54  AM, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> I rarely invoke tasks in this manner though, and when I have
>> it was to
>> embed a <java> task inside a custom task to wrap a third-party closed
>> source tool.
>
> I usually use the <java taskname=""/> construct.

That's not the same thing I'm after.  What I wanted to do (see my
article in Feb. '03 JavaPro) is wrap a closed-source Java program and
add niceties with specific attributes and nested elements to more
cleanly control a command-line tool without the build file writer
having to know the command-line specifics.

> mmmh - Task.perform() consists of
> 	getProject().fireTaskStarted(this);
> 	maybeConfigure();
> 	execute();
> 	getProject().fireTaskFinished(this, null);
> Exception handling and handling of UnkownElement. I think usually
> there are
> no
> side effects.

And in response to Stefan's other mail - I do set all the
attributes/elements for the constructed Task object so I take care of
configuration internally in my use case.  I just do not use <script>
typically, so hadn't encountered the need for perform().  Thanks!

	Erik