ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <SCo...@sportvision.com>
Subject RE: Remote deployment on JRun
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 22:14:34 GMT
I strongly urge against JRun 4. Our company spent six months of
unsuccessful efforts to port a series of web applications to JRun 4
without full success.  I would look instead for an open-source container
like Tomcat or JBoss.  These beasts are too complicated and NOBODY
documents them well, but at least with an open-source container, when
all else fails, you have to source code.

However, if you must go forward, do get the Service Packs.  They do fix
some serious bugs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul [mailto:rahul.thakur@excibir.co.nz]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 4:56 PM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: Remote deployment on JRun

Hello All,

I have this strong uge to automate my manual web application deployment
process on a remote JRun 4 (no service packs) server running on Linux.
Would want to know if anyone has attempted that or anyone has
suggestions.

To cut the long story short and simple, what I do right now is as
follows :

1. Connect to remote system via ssh.
2. If instance of target server is running , stop it.
3. back up my current <web-app> directory
4. export "base" stuff from CVS into a fresh <web-app> directory. this
creates the base/groundwork for my actual web application. 5. now,
export updated weba-application stuff  from CVS into a another
directory. 6. copy the stuff exported to directory in Step 5. to
directory in Step 6 5. restart server.

Apart from that I WISH that I can create JRun servers remotely but I
will keep that wish in my bag for the moment ;)  Ok, the question here
is do i need to work with any of the JMX stuff here to do stuff with
JRun , i mean create servers, stop and restart. Any tasks for JMX?. Any
tasks around  for SSH ?

cheers

rahul