ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Remote deployment on JRun
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 00:46:40 GMT
We are quite successfully deploying full J2EE applications in JRun4,
complete with ColdFusion integration as well.

We are not doing automated remote deployments though, so I cannot offer
much advice in that area.  For development we typically do hot deploys
by simply <copy>'ing the EAR file into the right spot and the server
takes over from there and has it redeployed soon thereafter.

If it weren't for ColdFusion integration needs we would likely use
JBoss, and did so for the initial part of our development.  Switching
app. servers was relatively painless thanks to XDoclet.

There are ssh/scp tasks in CVS, but not in a released version of Ant
(but don't let that stop you from building your own version if you need
them - the more folks that use them the better!).  If you can copy the
WAR (or EAR?) into place you can likely take advantage of hot deploy
and not worry about other issues.  For peace of mind I prefer a server
restart, but for speed of development a hot deploy is nice and
generally is issue free.

	Erik