ant-user mailing list archives

From Rosendahl Sten - stro <>
Subject RE: JAR
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 14:28:54 GMT
You can use the manifest to extend the classpath to look elsewhere for jar
files within an EAR file (jar files on the EAR level, EJB-JAR files but not
other WAR files).

We use it to insert company/product/version information.

Sten Rosendahl (
IMI Industri-Matematik International - THE ORDER COMPANY

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hatton []
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 4:04 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: JAR

Hi Matthew,

In your specific case, I don't believe the manifest really serves any
purpose in a WAR file as the relevant descriptor is WEB-INF/web.xml.

In an ordinary JAR file, the manifest can include advanced classpath
settings, the Main-Class setting (so you can do java -jar <jarfile>), code
signing information, etc. - see the JDK documentation for more information.

Hope this helps