ant-user mailing list archives

From Jens Skripczynski <>
Subject Re: using ANT as "startup" script?
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 16:08:57 GMT

Zhu He:
> I mainly use ANT as build tools (to replace make).  My question is whether
> there are people using it as cross-platform "startup" script?
> I don't see many people doing it.
> I saw there is <java> task in the core task manual.  Can we use ANT to write
> cross-platform startup scripts for java applications?
> pros and cons?
I belief there are many pros for running programs. But currently you cannot
start a java service, because ant waits for it to finish and won't return to a

The ant script I wrote for tomcat looked much cleaner, was only one (instead
of 2), and so should be easier to maintain...

The only contra I can think of is, that your program has the prerequisite to
have ant installed to run your program, but I belief that ant (if not already)
becomes so popular, that i may get shipped with a jkd. Tomcat-le 4.1.24
already ships ant by default.

So only a small contra.

Jens Skripczynski
E-Mail: skripi-lists(at)myrealbox(dot)com

True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it.
                                   -- Karl Popper

View raw message