ant-user mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <>
Subject Re: running ant under cron
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 14:35:00 GMT
Usually, behaviour differences between cron and running a script from hand
are due to the fact that
cron does not automatically execute login scripts such as .profile under
Korn Shell.
Solution : make another shell script, which you use as a wrapper to run the
build under cron.
If your shell is Korn Shell, your wrapper should look like :

# source the profile with the dot command
. ~/.profile
# execute the main build script

then you change your crontab to call the wrapper instead of the main build

the solution is similar under other shells (csh, tcsh, bash, ...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Cohen" <>
To: "ant-user" <>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 4:21 PM
Subject: running ant under cron

I am trying to run ant from cron to run an automated build script.  The
script runs fine from the command line, but fails under cron.

It is a long, complicated, build script and it makes it all the way
through the actual build even under cron.

However, it next runs the <test> target and here it fails to compile the
test code, exiting with the error

"Modern compiler not found - looking for classic compiler"

It had no trouble finding the modern compiler during the build phase.
Ironically, this compile is the only compile I do which is NOT forked
(because I want to pull in the junit stuff on the ant classpath).  What
am I doing wrong, or is there a better way to accomplish this whole

Here is the target that fails:

        <javac srcdir="${dir.src.test}"
            <include name="**/*.java"/>
                <pathelement location="${}"/>
                <pathelement path="${java.class.path}"/>
                <fileset refid="globallibs"/>
                <fileset refid="buildlibs"/>
                <fileset refid="testonlylibs"/>

Steve Cohen