ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WHY ?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:32:18 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Ethan Allen <Ethan.Allen@med.ge.com> wrote:

> I'm talking about the statement on the site that "You MUST verify
> the integrity of the downloaded files using signatures downloaded
> from our main distribution directory".

Hmm, maybe you can help us with rephrasing this, then.

The MUST doesn't mean you must verify the integrity - we certainly
encourage you to do so.  The MUST is meant to apply to the second part
"using signatures downloaded from our main distribution directory".

As Ant can be downloaded from a mirror (and in fact, we hope many
people do so), we lose quite a bit of control over it.  The MUST
means, doen't use the signature you'll find on the mirror as well, but
the sugnature from our main site, as this is the site we trust most.

Stefan