ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "destroy"-ing an Ant exec doesn't destroy what Ant is "exec"- ing...
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:54:56 GMT
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> Why can't Main.java be modified to not call System.exit, possibly
> conditionally under the control from a new command line argument?

Reread Rich's mail.  Ant calling System.exit is not his problem (well,
at leat not all of it), he's looking for a more general solution.

Main#main has never been intended to be anything but the command line
entry point into Ant.  Calling System.exit with any argument other
than 0 on errors is highly appreciated by us Unix users.  This rules
out removing the System.exit unconditionally.

I'd rather add a new method for non-command line usage that didn't
include a System.exit than making this conditional.  But then again,
we don't really have a nice API for embeddors and we shouldn't even
try to claim we had one (which a separate entry point for embeddors
micht do).

I'd rather like to see us providing a real API for these things, and
thought the Antidote project would push Ant into that direction.  It
didn't and efforts have slowed down.

Stefan