ant-user mailing list archives

Subject Re: Tomcat JSPC Precompile using Ant - unique jsp name problem
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:29:41 GMT
Hi Steve,

I have ant 1.5.2 and tried to find more about the webapp option.
However, at
I only found that the option exist, but not how to use it.

I tried this.
<taskdef classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC" name="jasper2"
but receive the following error:
Buildfile: build.xml

     [copy] Copying 15 files to

file:E:/esvdevelop/devapp/forms/build.xml:485: The <taskdef> task doesn't
support the "webapp" attribute.

Do you know where I can find a sample for the new webapp option?

p.s. What I do not fully understand is, that Tomcat itself * is * able to
compile the JSPs, but JSPC is not? It seems the wrong package name/class
name combination (not taking care of the directory structure) throws the
error "    [javac] duplicate class: org.apache.jsp.final_jsp".

Steve Loughran <>
03.04.2003 19:54
Please respond to
"Ant Users List" <>

Ant Users List <>

Re: Tomcat JSPC Precompile using Ant - unique jsp name problem wrote:
> hi there,
> I've searched the whole forum but haven't found any definitive answer on

> this issue;
> If somebody runs JSPC using ANT to precompile all the JSPs, the
> fails if any of the JSPs in  different directories has the same name.
> /jsp/mydir1/index.jsp
> /jsp/mydir2/index.jsp
> ==> JSPC fails with a quite confusing error message, which boils down to

> not having unique JSP names.
> Uniquely naming all JSPs is probably not an option because index.jsp is
> quite convenient.
> ==> I've also scanned the Tomcat 4.1.24 release notes, but haven't found
> fix there.
> Does anybody know how to fix this JSP naming problem??
> Thx alot
> Johannes

As it stands, this is a known and outstanding defect. Jasper is
compiling everything in to one directory, and we'll probably have to do
something in <jspc> to circumvent it.

If you have ant1.5.2, try building the jsps using the webapp option.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: