ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jay Goldman" <jgold...@iconverse.com>
Subject Incrementally updating jar file - <touch> workaround does not work
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:15:34 GMT

I know there have been earlier discussions regarding how the <jar> task with
update="true" does not update the jar if the fileset contains files older
than the timestamp on the jar file itself regardless of whether any of the
individual files are actually newer than the corresponding ones inside the
jar file.

For historical reasons, my build scripts incrementally add files to a jar
file and moreover the 'add' step occurs after all of the files have been
created during a  'build' phase - so it is guaranteed that some of the files
to be added will be 'older' than the jar file as it is being incrementally
added to.

The workaround i have been using is to <touch> the jar file with millis="0"
to force the update to the jar file. This had been working ok until i tried
using 1.5.3. I now get an error when my 'update jar task' is invoked when
the jar file does not already exist. This appears to be due to the fact that
the <touch> task creates an empty file (such a file would obviously not
contain any manifest, i.e., an empty file is not really a valid jar file, i
guess). This was not a problem before. Has anyone else seen this? Was the
<jar> task implementation changed in this regard?

I realize i can work around this new behavior by conditionally invoking
<touch> based on the <available>ity of the jar file - but we all know the
issues about writing logic using ant tasks, properties, 'if' attributes etc.
It just clutters up the build file.

So i was wondering if this new behavior is the desired one or this was the
unintended consequence of some other change or there is a better workaround
(besides changing the way the build process is structured.)

thanks,
Jay Goldman