ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Problems trying to generate xml help with xdoclet
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:10:55 GMT
On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 11:49  AM, Jesse Stockall wrote:
> What are your thoughts on the 'requirement groups' stuff I started.
> I'll continue working on them and start committing the @tags (as soon
> as I get my account) if there in consensus that this is the way to go.

Just for everyone else to bring them up to speed:
http://www.magma.ca/~stockall/xdocs/index.html

I've taken another look at it.  Its definitely a good approach.  Here
are some comments:

- I think the concept of "required" and "optional" need a simpler
approach in the tags, rather than being forced into a group concept.
My goal is to make tagging a task be trivial or non-existent in the
case of typical Ant tasks, where all attributes are by default optional
with reasonable defaults.  Tagging would be done for exceptional cases,
like the saying a field is required, or it belongs to a grouping.

- If we can get <property> right with the group concept, we pretty much
have solved it!  :)

- I know the syntax is up for debate, but just my $0.02 on XDoclet
tags...

	@ant.task.requirement.group optional

   I'd prefer that we always use name="value" type of syntax, or simply
the tag implying meaning with no attributes (@ant.required by itself,
perhaps?).

So I'm +1 on the grouping concept.  And with a few tweaks I think we
can get there from what you've done.  Nice work!

If it'll help you to work on this, we can pull the XDoclet
subtask/taghandler/template back into the proposal/xdocs codebase so
you can commit directly to that.  I debate with myself on where this
should ideally live, one moment it seems to make the most sense in
XDoclet's codebase, another  moment it seems best in Ant's.  XDoclet2's
architecture will likely require it be maintained in Ant's codebase as
a plugin module, so maybe it makes good sense for us to maintain it
completely under the Ant CVS.

XDoclet already has started down a path of tagging their tasks and
documenting them automatically, so there are already two competing ways
of doing this.  I've convinced Aslak on the XDoclet team that my work
covers the bases better than what they had done because of how it uses
IntrospectionHandler and such to more precisely get the picture, though.

	Erik