ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: can't look archives - Ant for C??
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:45:31 GMT
And I forgot to mention that C++ projects can be made to compile much faster
by having clean header files... Way too often, compiling every single source
file triggers the including of a plethora of header files, because of poor
or lack of use of forward declarations in header instead of including
another header, or not enough use of an opaque Impl classes (declared and
implemented in the .cpp file) for the state of a class declared publicly.
Only classes actually 'used' (i.e. not as pointer or references) require
including their header files, since the class size if to be known!

I have *seen* projects compiling 2/3 times faster after such refactorings.
Look at the output of a makedepend run on your projects, and if your files
all have dozens and dozens of includes each file depends on, then your
likely suffering from the "header'it" disease... --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 10:40 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: can't look archives - Ant for C??

Compiling native code just takes longer... Ant/CppTasks doesn't improve the
build performance that much over makefiles, if at all. It's actually not
what matters. What matters to me are:

1) The excellent dependency analysis performed, on the sources and the
compiler/linker command line for example (when an option is modified).
2) The clear and easy XML definitions
3) The cross-platform ability. To be honest, using GNU make is also
cross-platform, probably even more so, but the options to be used on various
platforms have to be conditionally declared. CppTasks does this in a much
nicer way.
4) Single type of build system in mixed Java/C++ projects.

This is why CppTasks is so valuable to me. --DD