ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject RE: Test if interface has changed
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:06:58 GMT
I have this little tool that I hacked together:

 * Write out the public API of all the Java classes of a Jar file.
 * <p>
 * To be called as <code>java -jar jardump.jar jarfile</code> when this
 * program is compiled and packaged (using GenJar) using the associated
 * Ant build.xml file. It's behavior can be controlled by 3 Java system
 * properties:
 * <ul>
 *   <li>verbose: include all members and processing info (defaults to
 *   <li>quiet: do not output any error messages on System.err (defaults to
 *   <li>noexit: do not do a System.exit(code) on error or success (defaults
to 'false')</li>
 * </ul>
 * @author <a href="">Dominique Devienne</a>
 * @version Jul 2002
public class JarApiWriter { ... }

You redirect to a file, doing this for both JARs, and then simply use your
favorite Text Diff tool. Requires BCEL and GenJar to compile and package
respectively, after which you end up with a stand-alone jardump.jar utility.

Contact me directly if you want either the build.xml and JarApiWriter, or
directly the jardump.jar (JDK 1.4 compiled). The list would strip a ZIP
attachment, and it doesn't deserve to be in BugZilla. --DD

PS: I'm sure there must be some tool for this somewhere, or that modern Java
IDE can do something like that.