ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: How to read a file without the first n lines
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:46:52 GMT
Does that mean you are +1 or -1 for this extension? Seems logical to me.

On a related note, something I discovered recently is that
Integer.parseInt("+1") fails... Only the leading minus (-) is recognized.

--DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 10:45 AM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to read a file without the first n lines

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Jan Materne <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> Especially if you suggestion is normal Unix-behaviour.

It is in POSIX.2 for tail, but not for head AFAIK.

In tail (from the BSD manpage):

 Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are
 relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the
 last two lines of the input.

Which means -n 2 and -n -2 are the same.  tail -n +2 will give you
everything except the first two lines.

Unfortunately we can't make <tailfilter lines="+2"/> do anything
different from <tailfilter lines="2"/> (setLines takes a long), so
we'll have to live with being incompatible to the command line
utility.

I just checked on my Linux system and it doesn't have something like a
negative number for head either (the "give me everything except the
last two lines" option).

Stefan