ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rich Wagner" <richmwag...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Anything like a "<foreach>" task ?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:06:39 GMT
>From: Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com>
>
>Instead of going the <foreach> route, would you care to elaborate what this
>process of calling MyMainClass on every subdir does? Looks quite unusual
>from my perspective, and I somehow suspect another approach could be
>used...

Well, in the interest of brevity, I simplified in my original pseudo-code.
The body of the foreach in fact needs to (1) invoke a Java main program we
have here at my company, which validates every XML file in the subdir
against the file's schema, (2) invokes another Java utility which applies an
XSLT script to every file in the subdir - though the utility does more than
than (details I can't get into: the point is it's not feasible to replace
this utility's invocation with a series of Xalan invocations: it's more
complicated than that...), and (3) "native2ascii" is applied to every
element of a corresponding outout subdir.

>Also, you should check out <apply type="dir"/>. This does an implicit loop
>on a fileset (a pseudo-<dirset> in this case, thanks to type="dir"), which
>quite often is better than using <foreach> (which many people jump to
>incorrectly. It's useful in some cases, but not that often IMHO).
>
>Regards, --DD

The Ant build file I'm writing is part of a web application
installer/deployer which needs to run on Windows and UNIX platforms, so the
OS-specific nature of <apply> isn't appealing...  At this point, the
<foreach>-based approach is working just fine (and the installer can itself
install the additional "ant-contrib" task JAR file), so while using <apply
type="dir"/> might be an alternative, at this point pragmatics make this:
"if it works, don't fix it..."

Thanks,
Rich Wagner