ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Conditional if/unless echo
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:16:01 GMT
On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 11:00  AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> Ever used CppTasks Erik?

Only to try the examples Steve created for our book.

> I have, and I'm so thankful if/unless is available in all and every
> elements
> of <cc>. Cross-platform and even multi-configuration on the same
> platform
> would simply be impossible without it.

Yes, the <cc> task and its datatypes are very well architected.  But
also keep in mind that Java does not have all of the issues with
cross-platform compilation and #define settings and such.  So there is
a need in that domain that does not exist (IMO) in the Java world.

> I can't even being to imagine the spaghetti-Ant code that would be
> required,
> nor the huge duplications involved, would I have to use *regular* Ant
> conditional available at the target level only...

But you don't need to either.  I would have to see the needs others
have on their builds which require such conditional capability, but I
simply do not encounter that need in my builds (otherwise I'd be
lobbying for such changes myself!  And committing the code too!).

> More useful, and perhaps less controversial, would be to allow all
> nested
> elements of type and tasks to have if/unless. --DD

It'll still be controversial!  :)

View raw message