ant-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Reason" <matt.rea...@movielink.com>
Subject RE: Convention for laying out an ANT build script
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 01:24:36 GMT

I too am new to ANT and have been wrestling a 600 line build.xml.

A couple of things have made life easier.  First, download a trial of
XMLSpy from download.com.  Go to View >> "text view".  Then go to Edit
>> "pretty-print-xml-text" and your build.xml will be formatted
consistently.  It also removes a lot of needless and confusing white
space, so you're file may get way smaller.

Second, it's good to have targets divided into logical steps.  And
sometimes one step really does depend on the one before it.  But other
times either A) the depend clause isn't 100% necessary or B) both
targets should be combined into one.  If you're ALWAYS going to run
target A+B, then make it one target.

Also, in XML spy, feel free to cut and paste the targets into a more
readable order.

Then go to View >> "Enhanced Grid View".  This will give you a great and
compact view of your buil.xml.  You can expand any element you want to
see more detail, or keep it rolled up.  It's great for getting a
high-level of the build.

Hope this helps,

Matt