ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Build file philosophy
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:43:28 GMT
The reason I like to start with the end result is that its the ultimate
goal - the EAR file for example.  We know we need to build that at the
very least, and by going backwards from there you can see what your big
targets will be... one to build the EAR, one to build the WAR(s), ones
to compile the Java code, etc.

By starting at the bottom, you might start doing too many fiddly things
like creating build directories all in an "init" target.  But perhaps
it really makes sense to only create directories just before they are
needed (like just before running <junit> for the result files).

In reality, its a combination of both starting from the end and the
beginning.  Its sort of like the new fangled Test Driven Development
stuff - at first its taught at the brain dead "lets simply make this
one test pass" level, but the smarter you are the more you can use your
experience and know-how to leap frog a few steps.  And in fact, the
analogy doesn't end there where TDD and agile methodologies are about
knowing when to stop - know the destination.  Sorry, too much
philosophizing going on - thats what I get for spending a weekend with
Robert Martin and Dave Thomas!

	Erik