ant-user mailing list archives

From Rosendahl Sten - stro <s...@im.se>
Subject RE: XML editors good for ANT
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:00:00 GMT
JEdit (www.jedit.org) is Ant- and XML-aware, has one XML plugin and three
Ant plugins and is free.

Sten Rosendahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Gordon [mailto:tim.gordon@allustra.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 10:49 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: XML editors good for ANT

Well, I'm happy to stand corrected, but I don't think that XMLSpy would be a
very good editor - it doesn't have any syntax awareness of ANT - it's just a
XML editor. Some people rave about the grid view (I've had a lot of success
using this for editing large files with complex repeating groups that have
been used for data exchange) but it doesn't really convey the meaning of ANT
files. You'd be paying for a LOT of functionality that not ANT-specific
(unless your hidden motive is to blag a copy anyway!)

Your best bet would be an editor that can be configured with some kind of
context-sensitivity that's ANT-specific. Unfortunately (unless you do some
real jedi coding) most things like TextPad, vi, emacs, etc could only be
configured for the 'out of the box' features of a specific build of ANT,
which kind of goes against the grain as a) it's constantly upgraded b) it's
extensible by you anyway.

I find that IDEA works well for me - it allows you to collapse tags to hide
their content, yet still cut and paste those tags around the build.xml. It
will also do the standard XML-editor things like generating closing tags for
you, has autocomplete for attributes, etc, handy because most build.xml
files don't have a DTD or schema specified. I suspect that it may use
introspection of the ANT classes to generate options for autocompletion, but
since IDEA is closed-source, I can't be sure.

You'd have to ask someone who uses Eclispe if it can do the same - it
certainly has the capability to do so.