ant-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Michael (Denver)" <Michael_Br...@jdedwards.com>
Subject RE: can't look archives - Ant for C??
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:42:17 GMT
I would have to say that the compiler will be the majority of your
performance, but the make facility can be a big factor also.  It also
depends what platform you are building on.  I have not seen a huge
performance improvement, but we are still using the same make facility,
through msdev, using dsp files.  There may be a difference when using the
cpptasks and optimizing your compile and link.  Just to give you an idea, we
are building 106 dsp files, and it takes approximately 20-30 minutes to
compile and link to create the necessary binaries we need.

Mike B.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Hiller [mailto:dhiller@avaya.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 9:30 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: can't look archives - Ant for C??

No, not looking for a converter.  The program doesn't even need to be
written in C.  I just would like to be able to write  a build.xml file
and get rid of all the make files that are currently used.  I can do
that myself.  I don't mind.  Just need a program.  I will try the
contrib.zip and see what that has.  thanks Dominique for that info.
    What I am hoping is this will speed up the build of our legacy
system.  I don't understand how it takes 5 hours to build a 50 meg
binary and I can build a 15 meg java binary in 10 minutes with ant.  I
think it has something to do with make files and the scripts.  I have a
feeling if those can be eliminated, the build can be improved
drastically.  The above statistics tell me the legacy is around 3.5
times bigger but takes 30 times as long to build.  Has anybody looked at
build performance before?
thanks,
Dean