ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject good system setup for Java dev on linux
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:03:36 GMT

This is mildly off topic. Instead of asking about a build process setup,
I'm asking about a build PC setup

I'm building up a new desktop as a redhat 9.0 system, rather than winXP.
Till new I've used linux for servers (the eponymous 'eiger'); going to
client is new for me. But a P4 xeon with 150GB of scsi HDD is too good
to waste on windows. Except for gaming of course, which is hard to do at
work (people notice).

I'd like some advice on a good layout for installing things like ant,
java, etc.

1. should I trust the rpms, or install everything (like tomcat) myself
into places I know.

2. what are the standard places to install the jakarta stuff.

3. Does anyone out there use Gump to check out and rebuild the core
jakarta stuff they dev with *Every night*.

I am thinking of having gump not just build and test my code, but create
the basics of ant, tomcat, jboss, xerces, commons, etc, every night, and
put those deliverables on my path, run them as servers, & so on.

That may be excessive change, but its a good way of catching
regressions. Maybe too good - I may want to stick to a core of things
that I use heavily (ant, axis) and just set up a manual check out and
build of the rest.

Thoughts?

-steve