ant-user mailing list archives

From "Grinvald, Edward" <Edward.Grinv...@ca.com>
Subject RE: Build file philosophy
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 00:55:18 GMT
Isn't this top-down vs bottom-up software development methodology?

|eg|

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Zeon [mailto:AndrewZ@hothouse.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 8:01 PM
To: Ant Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Build file philosophy

Hi,,

In 'Java development with Ant' by Erik Hatcher and Steve Loughran it
says to write the build file with the end in mind (page 200 section
8.5.1). Quoting the book:

"Your build file exists to build something. Start with that end result
and work baskwards as you write your targets."

Is this something that a lot of people do? For me, I like to start from
the beginning of the process, and get to the end. Of course I would have
in mind what is the ultimate goal, but I find it hard to write targets
backwards.

Comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.