ant-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schaffner <chri...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Problems compiling for jvm 1.1.x target with javac task
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:27:56 GMT
Hi

(I am new to this list so please forgive me if this was already
answered.)

We are developing a java applet and recently switched from make to ant
as building tool. The applet needs to be compatible with vanilla
w2k/ie5 installations, which means that the compiled java classes needs
to be compatible with the jvm 1.1.x.

What I am trying to do is:

  <target name="compile" depends="init" description="compiles all source
files">
   <javac
    srcdir="${src}"
    destdir="${classes}"
    excludes="**/bak/,**/backup/"
    compiler= "classic"

   </javac>
  </target>

but this gives:

     [javac] This version of java does not support the classic compiler;
upgrading to modern

and leads to classes not runnable in ie5 on w2k. This happens on all
MacOS X, Sparc Solaris and i686 Linux platforms all running java
1.4.1_01.

What am I doing wrong here? I searched the mailing list archives but
couldn't find any relevant information there.

Thanks for any help!
Chris.