ant-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>
Subject Re: Problems trying to generate xml help with xdoclet
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:31:53 GMT
On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 08:10  PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> - I think the concept of "required" and "optional" need a simpler
> approach in the tags, rather than being forced into a group concept.
> My goal is to make tagging a task be trivial or non-existent in the
> case of typical Ant tasks, where all attributes are by default
> optional with reasonable defaults.  Tagging would be done for
> exceptional cases, like the saying a field is required, or it belongs
> to a grouping.

Agreed, if optional attributes are the default, tagging the tasks will
be much simpler.

Hmmm, I don't mind '@ant.required', it's short and to the point, but to
be consistent with the groups, I'd prefer '@ant.attribute.required'

What about the group tags? @ant.attribute.group name="value"

> So I'm +1 on the grouping concept.  And with a few tweaks I think we
> can get there from what you've done.  Nice work!

Thanks.

> If it'll help you to work on this, we can pull the XDoclet
> subtask/taghandler/template back into the proposal/xdocs codebase so
> you can commit directly to that.  I debate with myself on where this
> should ideally live, one moment it seems to make the most sense in
> XDoclet's codebase, another  moment it seems best in Ant's.
> XDoclet2's architecture will likely require it be maintained in Ant's
> codebase as a plugin module, so maybe it makes good sense for us to
> maintain it completely under the Ant CVS.

Well I keep XDoclet's CVS tree on disk, so it's not a big deal to hack
on the XDoclet side of things.  As you mentioned it will eventually be
maintained by the Ant team, so maybe it should be brought back sooner
rather than later.

Jesse Stockall - jesse@cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Corp.