ant-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Guptill <>
Subject Re: good system setup for Java dev on linux
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:23:48 GMT
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:03:36PM -0700, Steve Loughran wrote:
> This is mildly off topic. Instead of asking about a build process setup,
> I'm asking about a build PC setup
> I'm building up a new desktop as a redhat 9.0 system, rather than winXP.
> Till new I've used linux for servers (the eponymous 'eiger'); going to
> client is new for me. But a P4 xeon with 150GB of scsi HDD is too good
> to waste on windows. Except for gaming of course, which is hard to do at
> work (people notice).

I suppose that redhat gets you the latest version of everything.
At one point I was forced to use a redhat system (6.2 and 7.0)
Didn't like them.

Me, I like Debian.  It's solid, easy to use and update.  "dselect"
provides a list of what is available, and makes installing new
(debian packaged) software a breeze.

Newer software that has not made it into a Debian package must be
installed manually, either from source or binary.  Eclipse, for
example has just been packaged.

So for a Debian system, read on...

> I'd like some advice on a good layout for installing things like ant,
> java, etc.

> 2. what are the standard places to install the jakarta stuff.

> 3. Does anyone out there use Gump to check out and rebuild the core
> jakarta stuff they dev with *Every night*.

Not me.

View raw message