ant-user mailing list archives

From "Atif Pesh-Imam" <>
Subject RE: good system setup for Java dev on linux
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:06:34 GMT
See comments below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran []
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 2:04 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: good system setup for Java dev on linux

This is mildly off topic. Instead of asking about a build process setup,

I'm asking about a build PC setup

I'm building up a new desktop as a redhat 9.0 system, rather than winXP.

Till new I've used linux for servers (the eponymous 'eiger'); going to
client is new for me. But a P4 xeon with 150GB of scsi HDD is too good
to waste on windows. Except for gaming of course, which is hard to do at

work (people notice).

I'd like some advice on a good layout for installing things like ant,
java, etc.

1. should I trust the rpms, or install everything (like tomcat) myself
into places I know.

I prefer installing it myself.
2. what are the standard places to install the jakarta stuff.

I put them into a /apps directory and put the bin dirs in my path

3. Does anyone out there use Gump to check out and rebuild the core
jakarta stuff they dev with *Every night*.

I don't. Im not really comfortable setting up a developing environemnt
with nightly builds where I cant assure their stability.  Pretty much, I
only use betas and final releases.

You may also want to think about maven.

I know it's not development env specific but it seems like it could be

I am thinking of having gump not just build and test my code, but create

the basics of ant, tomcat, jboss, xerces, commons, etc, every night, and

put those deliverables on my path, run them as servers, & so on.

That may be excessive change, but its a good way of catching
regressions. Maybe too good - I may want to stick to a core of things
that I use heavily (ant, axis) and just set up a manual check out and
build of the rest.

Let me know what u think.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: