ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ciramella, EJ" <ECirame...@emptoris.com>
Subject RE: performance enhancements...
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:10:15 GMT
That's exactly what I was looking for:

  memoryInitialSize="512m"____ results in a build time of 1 min 3 sec
  memoryMaximumSize="512m"
  memoryInitialSize="768m"____ results in a build time of 1 min
  memoryMaximumSize="768m"
  memoryInitialSize="896m"____ results in a build time of 1 min 2 seconds
  memoryMaximumSize="896m"

Since three seconds don't really matter, I'm going to just let it sit at
512.

-----Original Message-----
From: David McTavish [mailto:dmctavish@SANDVINE.com]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 12:02 PM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: performance enhancements...

Memory allocation really only helps in the event of caching information that
will be used extensively, so allocating more memory really doesn't have any
effect if the application doesn't use it. You could allot 1GB, but if javac
only requires 100 MB, it will never gain any advantage from having the other
memory reserved. If anything, it will most likely suffer a performance
degradation if your operating system is trying to multi-task between your
compile process and other background processes that are starving for memory.
I would try to evaluate what the largest block of memory you require for
compiling, reserving a good 30 to 40% more space for future development, and
let that roll. Anything else would most likely be consuming resources
unnecessarily.

d.