ant-user mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <levylamb...@tiscali-dsl.de>
Subject Re: standard/common ant project directory structure
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:33:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Ousley" <jeofatima@yahoo.com>
To: <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 10:36 PM
Subject: standard/common ant project directory structure

> Hello!
>
> Forgive me for asking this set of noobie questions.
> I'm working on a fairly large java project and I'm
> learning/using ant. Is there a standard/common
> directory structure documented somewhere? I've seen:
>
> /project
>   /src
>   /build
>   /lib
>   /dist

This kind of structure is frequent, except /project.
/docs (or /xdocs if you write your documentation in xml and reformat it to
html with some conversion system) is frequent also in the root dir of a
project.

The structure makes a lot of sense. You can instruct your system admin to
backup with care /src and /docs or /xdocs ; when you clean your environment
before starting a build you can delete recursively /build.

> Also, what is common pracrice for placement of 3rd
> party classes that are needed to compile your project?
> External from the project directory structure, or
> placed inside /lib? What would /lib be used for
> otherwise?

/lib is normally used for 3d Party libraries (jar files) which are needed to
compile one's project
you might want to separate inside lib java archives (jars, ...) and native
libs if you are using any. Native libs would then be partitioned by
operating system. I do not know official directory names for this type of
purposes.

If you place 3rd party libraries outside of one's project directory
structure - so that different projects can share them - then you need to
check that all the persons supporting the projects using the common library
directory will agree on testing and approving new versions at the same point
in time. Sharing libs between projects saves space but requires coordination
efforts. Up to you to evaluate how the mix stands.

Antoine