ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Build file philosophy
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:50:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Zeon" <AndrewZ@hothouse.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 17:00
Subject: Build file philosophy

> Hi,,
>
> In 'Java development with Ant' by Erik Hatcher and Steve Loughran it says
> write the build file with the end in mind (page 200 section 8.5.1).
Quoting
> the book:
>
> "Your build file exists to build something. Start with that end result and
> work baskwards as you write your targets."

It's disconcerting being quoted. But being co-authors, we get to take turns
denying all knowledge :)

> Is this something that a lot of people do? For me, I like to start from
the
> beginning of the process, and get to the end. Of course I would have in
mind
> what is the ultimate goal, but I find it hard to write targets backwards.

If you are happy with the beginning, then go that way.

I tend to drive forwards with the core javac stuff, patching in
precomipilation of things (XSD->Castor>src), wsdl->Axis->src, then testing.

the next stage, delivery, is where I try and think more about the
deliverables: docs, war files, generated data, and work back from there to
tasks.