ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: good system setup for Java dev on linux
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:23:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chappell, Simon P" <Simon.Chappell@landsend.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 14:14
Subject: RE: good system setup for Java dev on linux

>As one who did this for four years before management shut down my rogue
Linux workstation, I can offer a >few pointers. (I now have my own Apple
iBook and have successfully applied many of the lessons learned on >linux to
the setup there).

Thanks for those, I shall take everyones input on board. I didnt even dare
bring up the subject of win32 dev in vmware underneath the system; thats a
second level of grief (and the third HDD). There is a deep irony that my
near-ideal java dev box arrives the same time I have to help firefight a
windows project. But you can be sure the C++ and maybe .NET tasks will
improve in the process, as I apply cruise control to win32.

>P.S. I love your book.

I hope you've voted for it on the Java Dev Journal. I know that magazine
sucks(*), but it really miffs me that both the other Ant books are getting
better votes. Havent the audience read them? It's as bad as the fact that
the Web Services Journal awards dont even have any nominiations at all for
Apache Axis.

 http://www.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2003/

-Steve

(*) Actually there is a good article on continuous integration this month;
Conor's 'Clover' app gets a good mention. The authors build process actually
kept track of people committing codes without good test coverage. Kewl.