ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: back to <taskdef> classpath issues
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:24:58 GMT
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Mike McNally <m5@works.com> wrote:

> I appreciate that this is probably a wide-ranging rat's nest
> of a problem, but I'm curious as to why the "reverseloader"
> flag was deprecated, as it solves my issues completely.

With the reverseloader attribute set to true, Ant's classloader
doesn't behave the way Sun wants it to work (delegate first) as
described in the Javadocs for the ClassLoader class.

The "bad thing" that can happen with the reverseloader attribute set
to true is that you may end up loading the same class from two
different classloaders leading to extremely difficult to track down
(and understand) ClassCastExceptions.

The attribute is "deprecated" so it doesn't get overused - and at best
only gets used by people who understand the implications and don't
field support calls to us when strange things happen 8-).

We are working on a task library concept where we may use a different
classloader layering system or similar for future extensions.  Here -
as well as in some other areas - backwards compatibility of Ant,
important as it is, gets in the way of changes that may make live
easier for advanced users.

Stefan