ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mixing compression within jars
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:56:05 GMT
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Stephen Scaringi <Stephen.Scaringi@giantloop.com>
wrote:

> 1. You can mix compressed and uncompressed files using Sun's jar
> utility (that's what we're doing now with make).

Quite possible.  Why do you need that?  Just curious.

> 2. When we try to create the mixed jars using ant, we use two jar
> tasks with distinct file sets. The second task, which updates the
> jar with a couple of uncompressed resource files, uncompresses all
> the previously compressed files, even though none of the existing
> files in the jar are in the second tasks file set.
>
> I would consider #2 above as a bug. Do you agree?

No.

What Ant does, is creating a new archive.  You never really update an
existing archive (and if you did, the result would be growing and
growing as you'd have to append the new data at the end with no chance
to delete the old data).

It may be a useful enhancement to the zip tasks if they (optionally)
kept the compression state of entries coming from another zip file
("another" would include the original archive in update-mode) and only
applied the compress setting to stuff coming from files.

Or maybe apply the compress attribute to all "new" files in update
mode and keep the original setting.  I'm not sure.

But at least to me, this is an enhancement request, not a bug.

Stefan