ant-user mailing list archives

From Mike Hardy <mha...@h3c.com>
Subject exec task hangs with j2sdk 1.4.1 / linux?
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:40:09 GMT

Hello everyone -

First, I'll apologize if this has already been hashed out, I searched
everywhere I could (bug db, mailing list archive, google) and didn't find
it, but I might have just missed it.

Here's my problem, since upgrading from Sun's j2sdk 1.4.0 on linux (redhat
7.2 patched up a lot) to Sun's j2sdk 1.4.1, ant is no longer able to
successfully fire off an exec task that calls Tomcat's startup.sh. I have
tried ant 1.5.2 and the problem still occurs for me

It used to work just fine, I would see the catalina.sh output, then the
shell scripts would finish as tomcat went into daemon mode, the task would
return, and ant would exit. Now it just hangs there, making it a manual
process.

With ordinary shell scripts or other binaries, this works (I checked
/bin/echo, and writing a shell script that echo'd things). So I'm focusing
in on the JVM.

Is there a known problem with 1.4.1 leaving the stdin, stdout or stderr
file handles open?

It seems that's what's ant is waiting on given this info:

"Thread-3" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0x832cdf8 nid=0x6610 runnable
[be5ff000..be5ff860]
        at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:174)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.java:105)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

"Thread-2" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0x82dc510 nid=0x660e runnable
[be7ff000..be7ff860]
        at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:191)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:222)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:277)
        - locked <0x4424f670> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
        at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:90)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.java:105)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

If anyone has any information on how to work around this, or avoid it
completely, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help-
-Mike